ShareThis

July 03, 2013

Fireworks and In-laws: DIL Anthem!



Well I seemed all right by dawns early light

Though I was a little worried and weak
I  tried to pretend I wasn't goin' again

But hubby done handed me the keys
The twins were only four years old that summer

And it always seemed like they wouldn’t just “stay!
So I drove us all down to my MIL’s house

On Independence Day


Well word got around in this really small town
Folks knew she didn’t like me much

Heck, I was too proud so I stood my ground
‘Though I might be on the losin' end

Sometimes she talked, sometimes she squawked
So everybody looked the other way

When she wound up and my kids wound down

On Independence Day

Let my heart sing, let her words not sting
Let my family know that their Momma is “Queen!”

Let DIL’s be strong, let MIL’s be gone
Take his mom away, let her  husband pay – it’s In-law Independence Day

 
Well she looked at the sky that fourth of July
By the time all the men folk come

Just in time to realize, she wasn’t ashamed
And my hubby took me straight to our home

Now I ain't sayin' I’m right or she’s wrong
But maybe it's the only way

This is just my solution!
It's In-law Independence Day

 
Let my heart sing, let her words not sting

Let my family know that today this “Momma is Queen!”

Let DIL’s be strong, let MIL’s be gonged
Take his mom away, let her  husband pay – it’s my  Independence Day!

 

(Shamelessly adapted from Martina McBride  lyrics “Independence Day”.  Sorry, Martina!  Follow her on Twitter for the original and much better version of these lyrics.)

No comments: