ShareThis

June 26, 2013

The Many Seasons Of My Marriage

     I find myself ruled not by a calendar – at least not the Gregorian, Solar or Lunar.  Instead my life revolves around seasons: Big Game, Small Game, Dove, Woodcock, Snipe, Rail, September Goose & September Teal, Waterfowl, Furbearers.  Shotgun, .22 Rifle, Blackpowder, Muzzleloading. Fishing, Bowfish and Bowhunt.  


     Early on in my marriage I discovered the intricacies of being a sportsman’s wife. It was subtle at first, my introduction to this world of seasons. It began with Deer Season.  My husband would leave the house before sunrise not returning until after sundown. Every day except Sunday.  All day – before and after work.  I was patient since my husband assured me he would be more available to me once the season was over. 

     But would it be over?  You see, the season turned out to be a bit more complex than I’d realized.  There are categories and subcategories:  Archery Deer Season – Early, Late, Either –Sex Deer, Early Antlers, Urban Archery. Replace Archery for Muzzleloader, and Fire Arms – same subcategories.  Add fishing and bowfishing and it’s easy to see how the entire calendar year can be spent either hunting or fishing.  

     This hobby suddenly took new shape in my eyes.  It became the enemy.  It affected every aspect of our lives as a couple.  It determined when and if we could accept dinner and party invitations.  Whether or not he would be home for dinner. Vacation plans. Family planning. If and when household chores got done.

     After several months of waking up alone and several lonely dinners I asked my husband when hunting season would be over. I’d long since understood to ask specifically about Deer Season wouldn’t get me anywhere.  Remember – Small Game, Big Game, etc. “Soon” he said with a smile. 

     I should have realized then that I was in for more than I’d bargained for.  Deer Season begins in October and ends in March.  Enter Bowhunting.  Fishing Season – pretty much year round. Woke up alone, ate alone, woke up alone, ate alone.  Ah, the cycle of life. Or the slow death of a marriage?

     After all hobbies should not take up as much or more time than a full-time job.  Hobbies should not cause you to regularly miss dinner.  Hobbies should not fulfill you and make your spouse feel “less than”. Hobbies should not cost hundreds or even thousands of dollars a year.

   “You knew I was a sportsman when you married me.” I kept trying to figure out a good response that would not end our marriage on the spot.  “Stop trying to change me.” Change, no.  Fix, ok maybe. Maybe I was guilty of that one.   

     Desperate to find a way of spending more quality time with my husband I did what any red-blooded American woman would do. I stood by my man. I stood or low crawled by my man during hunting season. I stood or sat by my man during fishing season.   

     I channeled Sun Tzu.  “It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle.” Basically, keep your friends close and your enemies closer.  Hunting and fishing were my enemy.

     What did I learn? I learned that my husband used most of this time to sit in quiet reflection.  He enjoyed the peace and quiet of the woods and water.  I also learned I didn’t like ticks crawling on me, climbing up a tree stand, coming face to face with a really pissed off squirrel while laying in the prone position and I really, really didn’t like hooking and unhooking a fishing line.  I considered never going hunting or fishing with him again. Demanding he stop hunting and fishing.  Let him find this quiet reflection with me at home!

      What did I do? I explained my concerns and ask my husband to compromise.  What did I get?  My husband agreed to significantly cut down on his hunting and fishing if I’d make dinner later.  I agreed to join him every once and a while if he’d keep up with his chores.  Compromise. The back-bone of every healthy marriage. 

To everything there is a season, turn, turn, turn!

No comments: