ShareThis

July 26, 2013

My Relationship, Our Marriage: How I Knew He Was The One


     My life would no longer be my own.  No more freedom.  No more fun.    No more global vacations.  This was the end of my life as I knew it and no one was in line to help save me.  This was a journey from which there was no return.  I was getting married!
     How could I be sure I was making the right decision?  What magic ball was going to show me the future?  Wasn’t there some way I could know there would be no regrets?  There had to be someone somewhere that knew the surefire way to know with one-hundred percent certainty.  There had to be somewhere I could turn for the answers.

     I watched my future husband from inside his brother’s home.  Observing the two men from my position by the window - chatting about, well, nothing and everything the way brother’s do.  They were debating on whether or not the elusive peacock would show itself today.
It was a beautiful sight I hoped to see as well.  I looked past the two men and tried to see if I could catch a glimpse of this bird.  It had made itself known several days ago and we had been fascinated by it ever since.  Even the dog seemed to be holding its breath in anticipation.  After all, it’s not every day you see a peacock in your backyard.

     I looked at my fiancé again and found myself mesmerized by his smile.  It was the same smile that burned into my soul and captured my heart not that long ago. How to be sure? Like a child reaching out for the security of its parents arms in a thunderstorm I needed to grab hold of the answer.

     Suddenly, there it was – the peacock.  It walked gingerly from behind the trees and approached the house.  The dog sat up and cocked its head as it took in the sight.  The peacock continued to walk towards the house its chest puffing out as it grew in confidence with each step.  I was awestruck.  I’d only seen peacocks the way most people have – in a zoo.  I was excited and a little scared at the same time.

     I glanced to my left and saw my fiancés smile grow bigger as he witnessed this beauty.  The sun shone on him and gradually I felt a warmth come over me.  At that moment, that glorious moment I knew that I didn’t care there were no guarantees.  I didn’t care that I had no mystical way of divining if our relationship would last.  That every single moment would be filled with happiness.  I touched the glass of the window with my hand and I just knew.

     What I knew without a doubt was that I had to wake up to that beautiful smile every day of my life.  I knew that blonde hair was made for my fingers to run through.  Those hazel eyes that changed color with his mood.  The tell that only I could see when he tried so hard to get away with something.  The bounce in his walk when he got cocky or the tilt of his head when he told a funny joke.  The sun seemed to drape him in its golden glow like a spotlight on the stage of my life saying “This is right!”

     That was the moment all doubt left my mind, heart and soul.  That was the moment I heard a voice from somewhere deep inside answer “I do” – so I did.  I married this man.  We live every day, we love every day.  We fight, we cry and we hurt each other.  Then we live and we love again.  Never a regret.  Never a doubt.  Always in love.





 

2 comments:

Winnie said...

Such a beautiful post! Love to read about people finding their soul mates. I personally have only seen peacocks in zoos, so that is an amazing thing to me. Congratulations on your marriage!

Such a beautiful post! Love to read about people finding their soul mates. I personally have only seen peacocks in zoos, so that is an amazing thing to me. Congratulations on your marriage!

Reply
Whitetail In-law said...

@WinnieThank you, Winnie! I thought it was cool, myself.
It's been years later and I still haven't seen another one -
so I'll keep seeing it as a sign;)

@WinnieThank you, Winnie! I thought it was cool, myself.
It's been years later and I still haven't seen another one -
so I'll keep seeing it as a sign;)

Reply