ShareThis

June 17, 2013

Is More Time Apart Good For Your Relationship


     I recently read a statement online made by a Relationship Expert which suggested spending more time apart was good for your marriage.  It was an interesting piece with some overall good advice.  However, I have to disagree with the concept of spending more time apart.  While I don't suggest couples spend all their spare time together too much separation can lead to additional problems in the marriage. 

     Consider external factors such as the people your spouse may be spending this time around.  Are they unhappily married friends looking for a wingman? Misery does love company. Or friends that add positivity to your life? Too much time apart may strain an already delicate relationship. Relationships with even the healthiest of foundation may crumble given the right circumstances.

     My spouse loves hunting and fishing - with or without me. My spouse has season football tickets - I never go. On the other end of the spectrum get togethers where it's more likely my spouse would be exposed to "one more drink", "check out that babe", "you are whipped!" type of "friends" will find me in attendance.  This is our compromise. Living in a small town it would be easy to alienate someone by not accepting an invitation to a personal function. So, considering this external factor we are able to decide, as a couple, how our time is better spent.
     Together or apart there's one quote I think covers it well. "It's really easy to forget what's important - so don't!" Michael Keaton, Mr. Mom.





No comments: